Another Dose of Humility

I like this quote...
Wow, it sure seems like God is working on my humility lately...  So the last few days, now that I have finished my summer job, I have been working on getting ready for moving over to Bruté - you know, get the car full of gas, sort through the boxes of stuff (that I still haven't unpacked) from last semester, find notebooks for classes, etc.  Anyway, because I am not working this week, I have been able to attend noon Mass with the family over at St. Rose (most week-days I had been going to 6:30 AM Mass at St. Francis), and, as it happened, yesterday and today I was privileged to get to serve.  

Anyway, to cut a long story short, and to make this blog post less wordy, I was rather distracted during Mass.  Just before we left for church I had watched a video on YouTube about some of the profound symbolism found in the Mass.  This video was about the Extraordinary Form Mass (in particular), something that I want to write about ASAP, but that topic will have to wait for another time.  Suffice it to say, some of the points made in this video were running through my mind as Mass started and I ended up stumbling (vocally) while reciting the Confiteor.  As you can see below, the first and second halves of the prayer have very similar phrasing - the major difference being the tenses of the words.  (The confiteor in the Ordinary Form is similar, repeating "my brothers and sisters" at the beginning and the end.)  Thus, if you were to get "de-railed" and start saying the second half of the prayer before the first half - it's bad.  Anyway, that is exactly what I did this morning, and, for whatever reason, my brother ended up doing the exact same thing.  We said "omnes Sanctos" when we should have said "omnibus Sanctis", and thus, we both wanted to move onto the conclusion of the prayer when we hadn't finished the first half yet.  There was an awkward pause as we both worked out where we had gone wrong, and what we actually needed to say, before the prayer continued.  It's is actually kind of funny that it happened today.  Sometimes, when I am nervous before serving, for whatever reason, it crosses my mind that I could forget the responses (this is Latin after all and I'm not exactly a whiz at it), but today that possibility hadn't even entered my head.  I was just cruising through the prayers and, wham, totally screwed it up.  I guess God is letting me know that I am not the greatest server since St. John Berchmans (yeah, I guess I knew that, but still, I did think pretty highly of myself)...  Mea Culpa!

I am really hopeful to work on a post about the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite (which some call the Traditional Latin Mass).  I am in kind of an unique position of going to both Forms of the Mass (hopefully that is the correct terminology), and I am sure that some people are intrigued, confused, or interested by that. - coming soon!

Confiteor Deo omnipotenti, beatæ Mariæ semper Virgini, beato Michaeli Archangelo, beato Ioanni Baptistæ, sanctis Apostolis Petro et Paulo, omnibus Sanctis, et tibi, pater: quia peccavi nimis cogitatione, verbo et opere: mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Ideo precor beatam Mariam semper Virginem, beatum Michaelem Archangelum, beatum Ioannem Baptistam, sanctos Apostolos Petrum et Paulum, omnes Sanctos, et te, pater, orare pro me ad Dominum Deum nostrum.

0 comments: