Day 7 - A week in the life of a seminarian

Good Evening everyone!  Once again, I find myself at the end of the day, and I am just starting my post about what happened...  I hope that you have enjoyed this week of recap. posts - they were fun to write (though they took a while), and you may notice that they have made it to the top of the page - "A week at Bruté".  

Anyway, today began with schola practice at 8:30.  Both guys in charge of the schola decided on this Sunday because it gave us a few weeks to practice up (after parents and pastors day).  We ended up skipping a few practices though, so we weren't quite ready, and had to practice this morning.  I was very glad that we practiced, but I had just recently rolled out of bed, so it was more difficult than normal to hit those high notes (especially in Ave Verum).  I am currently working on the video, so look forward to a post with that.  

Otherwise, Mass was somewhere in between really awesome and just average.  I mean, obviously the Mass is always awesome, but sometimes my participation or perception of it is less wonderful.  This morning, while it was great to be singing and all, it means that half of Mass (more or less) I was thinking about the next song, getting ready for it, and turning my camera on.  Not necessarily bad, but it still kept me from concentrating fully.  On the other hand, Fr. Joe's homily today was spectacular.  As a certain seminarian noted, "that homily was boss!".  The message was simple: who or what is lying at your gate?  Like the rich man to Lazarus, what or who are we ignoring?  Is there someplace that we need to grow, that we need to work on, that we are avoiding?  Is there someone who we haven't taken the time to know, that we haven't been charitable towards, that we haven't shown mercy?  His homily was quite a bit longer and better than this synopsis, but you know, I can't remember everything...

After Mass I had a donut and part of a massive chocolate chip cookie for breakfast (thank you Fr. Joe!).  Perhaps not the most healthy breakfast (OK, definitely not), but there were nuts on the donut, so it couldn't have been that bad.  

I didn't work on much for the early afternoon.  It was one of those rainy, dreary days where you really don't want to do anything...  At 2 PM we had Eucharistic Adoration and a living Rosary over at Marian for religious freedom.  It was supposed to be a procession with the monstrance from the chapel to the football field, but since it was raining they decided to do it all at the football field (I was puzzled too).  Anyway, I helped bring the requisite stuff over to Marian (monstrance, incense, kneelers, bells, etc.), and then I volunteered to be thurifur for the afternoon.  It began with Exposition on the football field.  They had a tent set up with an altar under it, so the Eucharist stayed dry, but myself, the other servers, father, and everybody else, was outside the tent - in the rain.  After a brief prayer for religious freedom (which was just long enough so that my arm was getting ready to fall off from the thurible), another priest read a Gospel passage - in this case the discourse on the bread of life from St. John's Gospel.  He gave a wonderful homily connecting how the truth will set us free, how the truth is found in Jesus Christ (especially in the Eucharist), and how we are led to Jesus through His mother Mary.  He was so enthusiastic about the faith it was phenomenal!  I hope that someday I can have the same fervor and devotion than he did.  

After his homily, this other priest led the living rosary.  I thought it would be kind of cheesy, but actually having a different kid lead each prayer worked out pretty well.  They read a scripture verse in between each Hail Mary, but most of the time I was still kind of distracted just by how different everything was.  It was misting, I was tired, and every so often whichever kid was next would say the Hail Mary in Spanish, or Polish, or German, or Latin, or another language (at which point, instead of thinking how great it was to be part of the universal church, my mind would jump to trying to figure out what the language was...)  You get the picture, I am a weak human being, and sometimes my mind just doesn't want to concentrate.  Something that I thought was really awesome during the rosary, was how the priest, who was walking the microphone around to all the kids leading the mysteries, would gently turn them around to face the altar and Blessed Sacrament.  They weren't being disrespectful per-se, but the way that the rosary stretched around the football field, they had "lined" up all facing inward, and the exposed Blessed Sacrament was outside this circle (off to one side).  It really reminded me where I needed to keep my attention, and helped me refocus   After the Rosary, we chanted the Divine Mercy chaplet, had Benediction, processed out, and the rally was complete.  In total, it took about 2 hours, but it went by pretty quickly.  I am just glad that it didn't ever start raining hard, and that it was warm enough to be tolerable.  (I guess that Father was preaching on how to be martyrs, so perhaps I shouldn't complain about the weather...)

I ate some leftover pasta, salad, and pumpkin pie for dinner this evening - it was wonderful!  Then I worked on the video from the hymns today, took a short nap and went to the community Holy Hour.  It's really funny, a few years back I would have bitterly lambasted doing two holy hours in one day (especially one in the rain), but seminary has given me a much greater appreciation for these intimate moments with Jesus.  Both were wonderful in their own way, during both I struggled to concentrate, but Jesus was truly present to me both times, and just that is amazing.

After the 2nd Holy Hour, 4 of us went over to Marian and played some racquetball   This sport is an absolute blast, if you haven't played it.  Fast, intense, crazy, loud, etc.  I am not that good at it (I run a lot, but usually that is because I am trying to chase down the ball after not being in the right spot to begin with.)  I'm getting better, and I can hit the ball hard, but I still haven't figured out how to track the ball and be in the right spot to hit it back.  We wanted to avoid dwindling away, so after finishing a few games of racquetball, we went to dairy queen and got some blizzards.  I probably ate like 1000 calories of an extreme-chocolate blizzard, and burnt off about 100 playing, but it was a fun evening either way!


And that ends my last "day in the life" post (for the near future).  I hope that these gave you insight into the day-to-day workings of seminary life.  I know that I didn't go into detail very often - I was trying to keep the length reasonable - but hopefully you enjoyed reading (or at least skimming) them, and they make one of you smile.  Keep the prayers coming (please!) - I'll do the same!  Good night, God bless!

0 comments: