5 Miles

3/12/2013 , , , 0 Comments

Well, today I went for a 5 mile run.  To the best of my knowledge I haven't ever run that distance without stopping; I think my longest distance is around 4 miles.  Surprisingly, I really never felt terrible.  I don't know if I'm getting stronger or just better at ignoring the pain, but either way I was never to the point where I couldn't keep going.  Last time I ran, on Saturday, even though it was just 3 miles, my legs felt terrible afterwards, so I was wary that today they would just die on me.  Of course, on Saturday it was 30 degrees and pouring down rain, so it had the addition of being miserable along with being painful.  Today, though it was in the high thirties, I warmed up nicely and was actually sweating at the end.  One thing that was tough was the wind; I ran a course that was out-and-back, so I ran down main street for 2.5 miles and then turned around and came back.  That meant that as soon as I turned around the wind was in my face making it harder to run.  Ah well, I guess the wind can't always be at my back...  I was very pleased with the run; my legs survived, it wasn't pouring down rain (like last time), the temperature was chilly, but I warmed up, and the wind was helpful on the way out there. 
 
Of course, with the good news comes the bad.  My watch band broke a while back, so I decided to use my iPod Touch to time myself. today  Well, about a block into my run (1/60th of the total distance), the iPod flew out of my pocket and skittered (glass down - of course) across the sidewalk.  It still works, but the glass is all shattered and nasty looking, so that's a huge bummer.  Maybe I'll have to look into a replacement, or else just live without.  That's one way to cut back on gadgetry for Lent, I guess...

0 comments: