An Important Announcement!

Happy First Saturday!...  I don't know if I've ever wished someone that before, but I guess it can be done, right?  Actually, we should be very happy, because on Saturdays (especially 1st Saturdays) we honor Mary, and that should make us happy, because Mary is awesome!  (I'll have to expound on that in some other post, because that one word isn't very descriptive in today's society...)  Anyway, drum roll please: this post will be a little bit more important than my typical "sorry, I don't have much time, here's a cool video" post...  :-)  

And that is because I am finally able to announce to you all that I will be applying to study at the Pontifical North American College - in Rome, Italy - for my upper/theology level seminary!  It is located within Vatican City (i.e. it overlooks St. Peter's Basilica!), and has about 250 seminarians from the United States, Canada, and Australia.  If I get accepted, which is somewhat likely, but not guaranteed (they are at, or almost at, capacity right now), I will be heading over to Italy in mid-July (as in, 7 months from now!), to spend 8 weeks, or so, in Italian immersion.  That is very important because all the classes (which start in October, I believe), are taught in Italian...  

It's a little scary - not so much the language (that is overcome-able by hard work), but mostly just how far away I will be from everything I know (and love) back home.  But, while it's incredibly daunting, it is also incredibly exciting (as you can imagine)!  Please, as always, keep me in your prayers - that God's will may be done. 

Part of the reason that I haven't been good at posting stuff over this Christmas break is that I have been really, really busy trying to fill out all the forms (all 30 pages of them!), getting the requisite check-ups, and writing the required autobiography.  I have so many plans for great posts, but I just haven't had time to write them!  Unfortunately, I'm going to have 19 credit hours next semester, so unless I stay really organized I don't think my rate of posting is going to go up...  (We'll see!)

In other news: I just got back from a wonderful First-Friday, First-Saturday vigil (which started with the Rosary, then Mass, then Exposition, then many, many devotions, then Benediction, and Mass again at 1 in the morning - it was fantastic!)  Also, later today I will be heading down to Effingham where I will meet the other Springfield-diocese Brute guys and we will car-pool over to St. Meinrad where our retreat is happening.  It will last until Wednesday, at which point, I will come back home, finish all the application stuff, and then get some more blogging done before going back to Brute on next Sunday.  Man, this break has gone by way too fast!  


view from St. Peter's dome - overlooking the city of Rome

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I'll pray for your educational plans, that's exciting! I think the best words to describe Mary are those of the Hail Mary, it's amazing how much is contained in just those few words! "Secret of the Rosary" gives a very in depth look at the Hail Mary. Our visit to KY and Aquinas C. went well, I'll pray for you all on your retreat (& safe travels). Awesome picture. A.M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear your trip went well! Thanks for the prayers, as always, those are wonderful! Hmmm. Now, I need to do a post on the Hail Mary - gosh, just need about 6 extra hours each day to read all about it... Retreat starts shortly, so no more internet (which, undoubtedly, is a good thing).

      Delete
  2. I am excited to hear about the possibility of Rome for you. Three days in Rome (and forever in my memories) has been the highlight of my travels; I never stop thanking God for the opportunity/experience.

    DRF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I am excited too! It's easy to focus on the things that I will have to give up in order to go there (especially because the application process is pretty lengthy), but in reality it is a fantastic opportunity and I am incredibly blessed to have been given it!

      Delete