Trust Leads to Joy

On the way over to subway to get some food I found a piece of paper on the ground with the words "this is the day the Lord has made, Let us be glad and rejoice in it." (Psalm 118:24) written on it. Probably, one of the cantors, who have to write down the alleluia verse before Mass, so they can sing it, had dropped it.  Anyway, I thought it was an important point to keep in mind.  God has everything under control - trust in Him, and don't get all worried about the future.  Obviously, you can't just sit there and do nothing, but incessantly worrying about stuff in this life isn't going to help you get to the next (which is where we need to get).

Personally, I've been struggling with this recently.  The credits that I thought had transferred just fine into Marian, didn't, and I may not be able to graduate next year after all.  It's all up in the air at this point, and I have been fretting over it the past week.  Another newly found problem: this summer I'll probably be taking Spanish II online.  Unfortunately, I never really learned Spanish the first time around, so I don't know how it is going to turn out.  It is very interesting that just as I was getting all worked up about these problems I found this verse.  I mean, I've heard it before - at Mass and in the Liturgy of the Hours - but I hadn't ever really thought about it or applied it to myself.  God is asking for my trust, that I place my confidence in Him, and that is tough.  I want to know what is happening, where I'm going, what I'm supposed to be doing, but sometimes God asks me to just trust that this is the day that He has made, not me.

Think about Mary at the Annunciation (which we celebrate tomorrow), she has all of like 10 seconds to decide the fate of the universe.  She didn't know what would happen.  But she trusted God, and said "fiat" - "let it be done".  We have to learn to do the same; trust God and say yes.  Also, don't forget the second part of the psalm: joy.  Trust doesn't really count if we continue to complain about what is going on and march around with a glum look on our faces trying to get people to feel sorry about our predicament.  Give God your trust totally - He won't let you down.  (of course this is easier said then done - that, of course, is what prayer is for).

Happy Easter folks!

0 comments: