The Beauty of Night Prayer

2/01/2013 0 Comments


Night Prayer, also called Compline, is probably my favorite hour of the divine office each day.  It begins with the typical "God, come to my assistance. - Lord, make haste to help me." and a hymn (one of which includes "Holy God", which is definitely my favorite hymn).  However, then you have a quick examination of conscience, which, for me at least, is a great time to also set some virtuous goal(s) for tomorrow, and one psalmody.  I can almost always find something meaningful or applicable in these psalms. (Examples follow):
 
Psalm 16:  Preserve me, God, I take refuge in you.  I say to the Lord: "You are my God.  My happiness lies in you alone."

Psalm 130:  My soul is longing for the Lord more than watchman for the daybreak.

Psalm 134:  May the Lord bless you from Zion, he who made both heaven and earth.

Ok, so then comes my favorite part: the responsory, canticle, closing prayer, and antiphon to Mary.  I’ll let them speak for themselves:

Responsory:
Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit.
 Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit.
You have redeemed us, Lord God of truth.
 I commend my spirit.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
 Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit.

Gospel Canticle
Ant. Protect us, Lord, as we stay awake; watch over us as we sleep, that awake, we may keep watch with Christ, and asleep, rest in his peace.

Luke 2:29-32
Lord, now you let your servant go in peace;
your word has been fulfilled:
my own eyes have seen the salvation
which you have prepared in the sight of every people:
a light to reveal you to the nations
and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit:
as it was in the beginning, is now,
and will be forever. Amen.

Ant. Protect us, Lord, as we stay awake; watch over us as we sleep, that awake, we may keep watch with Christ, and asleep, rest in his peace.

Antiphon to Mary: (there are several options, but my favorites are the Alma Redemptoris Mater and Salve Regina.)

I don’t know exactly why I like night prayer so much, but it is such a good way to wind down for bed – you know, putting yourself in God’s and Mary’s hands.  Good Stuff!


Our Salve at Brute is almost as good as this one...

0 comments: