Open Weekends

2/03/2013 0 Comments

Sorry for the lack of posts over the last few days.  This weekend was designated an open weekend and that means that I can go home!  Some guys call Brute home, but for me it's my home away from home; i.e. my home is still with the family.  Unfortunately, that's a 5 hour drive (from Indianapolis to Quincy), but it's worth it. 

It's kinda funny, whenever guys are leaving on an open weekend everybody always asks what you plan on doing.  The funny part is that nearly everybody's response is "nothing".  As I have grown (a little bit) older I have found that sometimes doing nothing is fun.  Being home this weekend I pretty much just hung out with the family, did what they were doing, and had a blast doing it.  The evening I got home they did a night vigil for the first-Friday/first-Saturday devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary; we have done this for about 10 years, and it's one of those things that (while difficult - especially after driving all afternoon) I have grown to love.   Saturday morning I checked out the new (to us) car that mom and dad got; pretty cool!  We took Fr. Carberry (the retired priest from my previous parish, St. Boniface, who is now at the veterans home) to Mass at St. Rose.  Then we made the rounds around Quincy, picked up some dinner (steaks, fries, salad - food is one of the things I really look forward to at home; delicious!).  Watched a movie that evening; ate some ice-cream and went to bed.  I mean, it was a pretty typical day around the house, but I enjoyed it immensely.  This morning dad made sausage/egg roll ups; again delicious, and now we're heading off to Mass. 

There is something wonderful about just being able to spend time with the family.  I look forward to every opportunity to head back over here.  (I guess the 5 hour drives are a good opportunity to listen to that pile of lighthouse Catholic CD's that I never get to listen to).  Anyway, have a blessed Sunday, and enjoy time with your family!

0 comments: