Setting an Example

St. Paul Preaching in Athens
So today while I was in line at subway (which recently re-acquired a toaster - yay!), I heard the people behind me talking about their class and how it was really boring today, and nobody knew what the teacher was talking about, and then they said something interesting: "even the seminarians were looking out the windows".  I guess I hadn't really thought about it, but as a seminarian, people are watching me, so when I doze off in class, or complain about the cafeteria, or get to class late people notice. This little comment reminded me that, whether I like it or not, I am a role model of sorts and I need to act like one.  Now, I don't want to leave all the pressure on myself, so I'm going to point out that on a larger level the world is watching Catholics in general to see how they live their lives.  Whether we like it or not, we are held to a higher standard in the public's eye.  If we are who we say we are (the true Church started by Christ, with the Sacraments, and the True Presence, etc.), we need to live like it.  Catholics on a whole, not just seminarians, need to set an example as to how people should really live.  Want to convert the world?  Show them that we are a people truly transformed by Christ; the early church did it and look where it got them!

0 comments: