Weekend Recap - 4-21-13

Well, the weekend isn't quite over, but I wanted to write about something, and nothing spectacular is coming to mind.  So, without further adieu, here's what I did this weekend:

On Friday I had the typical classes (Theology and Asian Philosophies) after which I stayed at Marian and watched a video for Sociology class, and then headed over to participate in STARR.  Most Friday afternoons a group of students at Marian (including 6-8 seminarians) head out to different places around Indianapolis to do community service.  There is a mix of different things available to do (usually), including hanging out with handicapped individuals, running a day care of sorts for a poorer area in Indy, working at a food pantry, cultivating vegitables for food pantries, etc.  Anyway, on Friday about 20 kids from one of the day cares came to Marian, where we gave them a tour, played some sports, and otherwise just had a good time.  Of course there is a twist to the story: STARR was at 4 PM, rather than the usual 3 PM, and that fact (perhaps along with others) meant that I was the only seminarian available and there were only about 5 other students there besides myself.  Usually STARR has 20+ students each week, so this was quite a small group.  Anyway, I helped out with the tour and all that, got a little bit muddy trying to play soccer with all these kids, and overall had a fun time.  I managed to find a ride back to Bruté, and since a lot of guys were gone to a play or a concert (I managed to miss both), I went to bed early (around 9:30 PM).  

On Saturday morning I woke up from my awesome night's sleep and after Mass helped give a tour to the altar boys from Fr. Hollowell's parish after Mass.  There were a few of us giving the tour, and since I had little experience with giving them (most groups seem to come on school mornings, when I have class), I didn't say a whole lot.  We finished up in the chapel where we gave our vocation stories and took a few questions.  It was cool to be able to hear the other guys' stories because I hadn't heard (or at least remembered) them yet.  Finally, we had Jimmy-John's with them for lunch (a treat around here).  After this point I proceeded to have a lazy afternoon.  I worked on a paper a little bit (about the musical happenings at the Easter Vigil), watched some videos on YouTube (Air Force One is pretty cool), and then wondered around to see what was going on (not much).  I luckily ran into a group of guys cooking up dinner and collaborated with them to make some sloppie joes, mac-n-cheese, and grilled pineapple.  It was pretty terrific!  A few of us said Evening Prayer together (on Saturdays it is on your own), and then about 8-10 guys went down town.  We ended up going to an ice cream place, where I enjoyed a waffle come with two different chocolaty kinds of ice cream (it was phenomenal), and then a soda shop where I got an orange cream soda.  We got back to Bruté around 9:30 PM and I fully intended to go to bed early, but I got sidetracked and ended up watching the movie The Cardinal.  It actually was a terrific movie about a priest living through both world wars and the different struggles he had to contend with (doubts about his vocation, family disasters, the KKK, and WWII).  It was quite well done, and I enjoyed most of it.  After that ended around 12:30, I said night prayer, a rosary, and went to bed - it was a much longer day than I expected...

This morning (Sunday), I slept in till 8:30, and then did Morning Prayer and Mass at 9:30 AM.  It's good shepherd Sunday and Fr. Bob's homily was quite good about how we have an innate desire for God (Our hearts are restless until they rest in God - St. Augustine), and how Jesus, as the Good Shepherd, will continue to call us back to Himself when we wonder off the path.  This, of course, wraps back in a special way onto priests, who in Persona Christi must act as shepherds to Christ's flock and bring them to Him.  After Mass, the 4 of us Springfield guys who are running the mini-marathon in less than 2 weeks went for a 9 mile run.  It turned out to be a wonderful temperature (between 40 and 50) after the first mile or so.  We ran a pretty hard pace (7:40min/mile) for the nine miles considering for the longer ones we are normally around an 8:00min/mile pace.  Three of us stuck together until almost the end when Willie just floored it and finished probably 10 seconds ahead.  Overall, it was a very good run, and it's good to see that our pace is continuing to get faster.  After the run, we had a thank-you reception for Arch-Bishop Buechlein OSB, who was the arch-bishop of Indianapolis until 2011 and was the man who started the seminary here at Bruté.  It was a beautiful ceremony which included mid-afternoon prayer, speeches by all the expected people (Fr. Bob, a senior here at Bruté, Arch-bishop Tobin, and Arch-bishop Buechlein).  There were a few emotional moments as everyone expressed their thanks.  Have a good afternoon!

And now...  I think that I will take a nap, maybe get something to eat, head to Adoration, have a meeting with the Frisbee guys, and otherwise just hang out.  Have a wonderful Sunday everyone!

*sorry no pictures, I'll try to snag some from one of the guys who took some this afternoon...

0 comments: