Priesthood Ordination - Awesome, Inspiring, Exciting, Incredible!

The Cathedral before practice
On Friday evening – after a quick dinner with the family of tuna-loaf and asparagus – I drove over to the Cathedral in Springfield.  Practice was scheduled to start at 7:45, but I got there a little early (maybe 7:25 or so).  The doors were still locked so I waited around until Mark Tracy (who is in my same ordination class and studies at St. Meinrad) arrived and showed me the side door to the cathedral rectory, which we knocked on and got in.  Other guys showed up over the next few minutes and then we were assigned positions (I was given the job of holding the Roman Missal and Rite of Ordination for the bishop).  We then spent a few minutes setting up chairs in the sanctuary for all the priests and deacons that would be assisting/concelebrating/condeaconing (that last one is made up).  We waited for a little while for both deacons – soon to be ordained – to finish their dinner with the bishop and join us, and then we began the long process of running through the Mass.  Other guys thought that the practice was way too long – and it was long, like 2 and a half hours – but the difficulty was that there were so many different people with different responsibilities that Fr. Alford (the MC, as well as vocation director) had to teach each person almost individually what they would be doing, and so many things had to be repeated and explained for multiple people.  For me, practice wasn’t that hard because I had done book-bearer before (so I knew how to process, where to stand, how to hold the book, etc.)  Thus, all I needed to learn was approximately when I would be moving out to hold the book, about how long I would hold it, and a few other things that I ended up doing (cleaning the bishop’s hands from the chrism, helping to set the altar during the offertory, etc.)  After practice finally finished up, we all went to the Villa Maria, a retreat house owned by the diocese and the place where we usually stay during diocesan events like this.  I was sort of thinking about heading to bed pretty quickly – it was already past 10 at this point and it had been a long day – but when I got to the villa I found that there were a bunch of friends of Steve and Seth – mostly from Mundelein – along with all the guys from the Springfield diocese and so I ended up hanging out, chatting, enjoying some ice cream and apple pie, sharing stories, learning names (well, sort of), and otherwise just having a good time.  Anyway, it was a fun evening/night and I ended up hitting the sack around midnight. 


The chapel at the villa
I woke up the next morning around 6:30 when the sun started shining through the window where myself and a few of the other Bruté guys were sleeping.  I took a quick shower and headed across the building to the chapel – saying the Office of Readings, Morning Prayer, and several other prayers before wandering into the dining room where they had just begun serving breakfast.  A smattering of other guys were up and we all enjoyed a hearty breakfast of biscuits & gravy, fruit, eggs, hash browns, cereal, juice, and cinnamon/blueberry/banana bread (I didn’t have everything, but that was the selection).  After breakfast, I grabbed my cassock and surplice and drove over to the cathedral, arriving around 9 AM.  Mass was scheduled to start at 10:30, so I had plenty of time, but it flew by as we were pressed into service setting up the altar, lighting the candles, figuring out last minute things that we would have to do, etc.  I squeezed into a collar that I borrowed from Braden Maher (a previous graduate from Bruté who is 2 years ahead of me in formation at St. Meinrad).  I was extremely thankful for the collar (because I don’t have one – that will probably wait until I get over to Rome), but it was pretty tight (I guess that’s like the priesthood, it’s always awesome, but some times are harder than others).  About 15 minutes before Mass I went over to the other side of the sacristy (where the bishop was vesting).  I spent a few minutes fiddling with my collar – it didn’t want to stay down, and I wanted to be able to breath – with little success…  Still, I was really glad that I was book-bearer because I was right there watching deacon Seth and Steve getting vested – to be ordained priests in a few minutes – it was an incredible moment!  Both were excited and nervous, though Dcn. Arisman got more talkative as the time approached and Dcn. Seth, less talkative (they have very different personalities).  Finally, the big moment came and we walked around the outside of the cathedral and stood in the back ready to process.  The processional hymn, All Creatures of Our God and King, magnificently thundered from the choir loft and the procession began!  A minute or more later – with the servers, deacons, and some of the priests already having gotten to the sanctuary the bishop finally began to move (that was how epic of a procession it was)!  I was in the very back of the procession, so I got a spectacular view of everybody packing the cathedral watching the procession snake up the center.  Myself, along with the deacons for Mass (recently ordained: Samuel Bagyo, and Adam Prichard), Fr. Alford, and the two vimps (Wayne Stock – a Bruté grad, one year in front of me, now at Mundelein, and Aaron Kuhn – a classmate of mine, at Mundelein) genuflected with the bishop and then we went off to our respective spots (mine was behind and to the left of the bishop).  Mass began with an incensation of the altar – during which I did nothing – and then the Confiteor, Kyrie, Gloria, and Collect.  My job, holding the Roman “action”, but it was also tough on the arms.  The Confiteor and Kyrie weren’t bad, but then my arms started to get tired as I held the book out in front and to the side of me so that the bishop could read it.  My left arm was more extended (because I was holding the book to my left) and to make it worse, since the ordinary parts were at the front of the missal, most of the weight was pushing down on that arm.  I tried not to grin as the trumpets chorused out during the Gloria – it was awesome! – but I was watching the ominous hints that my arms were tiring – mainly the fact that they were starting to tremble – and had to grit my teeth to get through the last bit of the Gloria.  Thankfully, like the collar, I had a good intention for which I was offering up all these physical difficulties: Steve and Seth (soon to be priests)!  Fr. Alford came over and flipped the book to the collect, thankfully taking a bit of pressure off my left arm, but forcing my tired arms to shove a bit harder against the missal, fighting against a losing battle against the force of gravity…  Anyway, I managed to hold the book up for another minute and the mercifully got to close the book, bow, and head back to my seat.  The hardest part was done! 

Fr. Steve Arisman making the promises
The liturgy of the word went by quickly and after Marty Smith (one of our recently ordained deacons) finished proclaiming the gospel the rite of ordination began.  This time I was holding the Rite of Ordination – a smaller book than the missal – and even more awesome was the proximity that I was to the men being ordained.  I was right there, literally a couple of feet from the bishop when the candidates’ names were called out.  Then, after the homily, I was again right there during the promise of the elect when Dcn. Arisman and Brown responded “I do” or “I do with the help of God”: to the bishop’s requests to: “discharge the office of priesthood in the presbyteral rank as worthy fellow workers with the order of bishops”, “exercise the ministry of the Word worthily and wisely, preaching the Gospel and teaching the Catholic faith”, “to celebrate faithfully and reverently the mysteries of Christ handed down by the Church, especially the sacrifice of the Eucharist and the sacrament of Reconciliation, for the glory of god and the sanctification of the Christian people”, “to implore God’s mercy upon the people entrusted to their care by observing the command to pray without ceasing”, and “to be united more closely every day to Christ the High Priest, who offered himself for us to the Father as a pure sacrifice and to consecrate themselves to God for the salvation of all”.  And then, I was right between the bishop and the candidates as they placed their hands within his and promised “respect and obedience” to him and his successors.  I didn’t have to hold the book during the litanies (thank goodness!), but again, I was only a little ways away when the young men prostrated themselves on the floor, begging, I’m sure, Christ’s help in living “in persona Christi”, a totally new life that was now beginning! 

Fr. Seth Brown receiving the chalice/paten
my collar is working its way upwards...
After the litany, the deacons (for only a few more moments) again approached the bishop, who laid hands on each of them, ordaining them priests and marking their souls with the indelible mark of being an alter Christus.  Then, as the Veni, Sancte Spiritus floated through the air, all the other priests present – including one in a wheelchair (touching moment!) – laid their hands on the newly ordained priests.  Then, myself holding the book, the bishop said the prayer of ordination and the new priests were vested in stole and chasuble.  It was an epic moment, and one full of emotion, as Fr. Arisman and Brown stood there in front of the cathedral full of people, now priests of Our Lord!  They were incredibly happy – the moment for which they had been waiting for years had finally come and they would soon be serving as priests in the diocese.  I moved forward again with the book, this time for the consecration of their hands, and again was right there when the bishop crossed their palms with the sacred chrism, anointing them for administering the sacraments, celebrating the sacrifice of the Mass, blessing people, and the other unique faculties of the priest.  Fr. Steve and Seth then moved off to the side and cleaned the chrism from their hands onto a maniturgium.  I couldn’t see exactly what else they did (if anything) because I was helping to clean the bishop’s hands, but the maniturgium has special significance because later (the next day) it would be given to the priest’s mother, a symbol of her giving her son to God as a priest.  Finally, both priests returned to the bishop – myself again kneeling inches away – to receive the chalice/paten/wine/bread from him.  Each one came forward, knelt before the bishop, and, as he said a short prayer, they clasped the chalice (held by the bishop), symbolically receiving the sacred vessels and bread/wine that they would use or offer at future Masses.  It was one of the last parts of the ceremony of ordination, but important because it reiterates the most important part of their priesthood – the Holy Mass, in which the priest acts most like Christ and gives the people Christ’s Body and Blood.  Finally, the bishop embraced the new priests and all the priests again processed across to them and also gave them a kiss of peace.

The liturgy of the Eucharist was much the same as in any other Mass.  I helped to set up the altar – carrying over the Roman Missal and stand, as well as several of the sacred vessels as well as the hosts and wine.  Yeah, there wasn’t anything “special” about the offertory and consecration other than the usual miraculous transubstantiation that transformed the bread and wine into Christ’s Body and Blood…  Actually, I couldn’t see very much because the vimps were blocking my view of the altar (for the most part).  All the servers received Communion from the bishop, who then distributed the Eucharist to the people (along with plenty of priests including Fr. Arisman and Brown).  Communion took a good while because there were so many people there, but it gave me a little bit of time to meditate on the moment – not only the Eucharist that I had just received, but also the vocation that I am discerning and preparing for.  Last year it was really cool to be at the ordination – it was the first priesthood ordination that I attended – this year it was even more awesome because it was starting to hit me that I could – God willing – be in the exact same position in just four short years.  It’s a thought that excites me and that was the thought that sent chills down my spine as I held the book during all those moments of the ordination ceremony, but is also a thought that worries me a little – will I be ready?, will I be capable?  During those moments after Communion I gave myself again to Our Lord, begging Him to make me worthy, ready, capable, holy, strong, joyful, and everything else that I will need to be in order to be a good priest, a good alter ChristusIt’s an incredible vocation, one that has blessed me immensely already in my discernment of it, and one that I still feel called to, but that knowledge, that joy, and that confidence aren’t enough.  The call comes from Christ and it is only through Him, and His grace, that I will ever be able to live out that call. 

Bishop Paprocki and Fr. Steve Arisman after Mass
The end of Mass was unique because before the final blessing the bishop received the very first blessings of both Fr. Steve and Fr. Seth, a really cool moment as they each (one after the other) raised their hands and prayed that God’s blessing might come down upon our bishop.  Then the Bishop gave his blessing to them – and everyone else – while I held the Missal one last time (my arms had held up pretty good, so this wasn’t terribly difficult).  Then everyone processed out to the sound of Oh God Beyond all Praising, the entire congregation enthused with the joy of seeing two young men transformed into priests! 

More to come!  Sorry, these posts take a long time to write and I am in the midst of preparing to apply for my visa (tomorrow in Chicago), packing for vacation (Saturday in Washington State), and writing a letter to my sister (ASAP).  Also, most of these pictures were collected from Facebook (obviously I didn't take them).


0 comments: