Friday in a Nutshell (Ice, Food, and Fun)

Well, today was a blast!  I only had one class (usually I would have 2) because there was 1/2 and inch of ice on everything and it was treacherous to go anywhere (besides being hard), so my only class today was Asian Philosophies at 11.  The last day or two (and part of tomorrow) has been what is called a "come and see" weekend; it's the first time I've heard of it, but basically, this gives some guys a chance to come and spend a few days at Brute to see if they want to come here/become a seminarian in the future.  Anyway, so the four guys that we have visiting get to experience the classes as well, so one of the ones that they went to was Asian Philosophies.  Due to the ice, many of the people were missing from class anyway, so it was actually good that we brought four extra guys - the class didn't fell empty. 
 
After class we headed over to the cafeteria, which mercifully has been serving no meat on Fridays.  So today is was fish and chips.  The chips (waffle fries) were fantastic, enough potato to have body and enough fry to have crunch.  The fish was, well, mostly fry and little to no fish.  Either way it was reasonably tasty and I am very happy that they aren't serving meat (just practically, I, and I'm sure a bunch of other catholics, would forget to not eat the pepperoni pizza, hamburgers, or bacon bits).
 
So, after classes/lunch I came back to Brute and finished a short essay due in Shakespeare on Monday and then I helped out in making dinner.  Usually, on weekdays we would eat over at Marian (or guys would go out someplace), but since it was the vocation weekend, we decided to have dinner here at Brute.  Anyway, I lent a hand in preparing the food (shrimp Alfredo, meatless chili, corn bread, and salad), and boy was it good.  It's one of those things, Marian's food isn't that bad, but it gets old.  Maybe I'm biased but I thought dinner was fantastic.  The Alfredo was cheesy, the chili was meaty (without meat - yeah, bad adjective use...), the corn bread was yummy, and the salad was refreshing.  (I don't think I have ever looked forward to fruits and vegetables until I came here - I guess when you don't get them as much they become more tasty).  So dinner was awesome!
 
Then I had the opportunity to go over the Marian and go to a talk by the Sisters of Life.  I didn't really know what to expect, but I was totally blown away by these sisters.  As soon as we walked in the room they were friendly and smiling and greeting us like we were their favorite people ever.  They were absolutely beaming the entire time.  It's absolutely impossible to explain, but they had this joy that just exuded from them.  One of them gave a talk on being "fully alive in the culture of death".  If I remember some of the good points I'll blog on them, but basically she explained how following Christ's call to love is the primary way to spread the pro-life message.  Why does abortion happen?  Because people don't love the children in their mother's womb, or because people don't love and support the mother.  The sister noted that we are fighting a spiritual battle and that the only way to win is to fight with spiritual weapons.  Well, what are those?  Prayer and Fasting.  Well, what do those do?  The create a personal relationship in us with Christ.  Well, what is that?  Love.  Well, what is that supposed to do?  Flow over to others. 
 
Folks, love is the foundation of every single thing we do as Christians: what we do, how we do it, why we do it.  If love of Christ doesn't flow out to others what's the point?  Sorta on the same thought: are people grumpy when they are loving?  Nope, I didn't think so.
 
Love leads to joy folks - be happy!  (Everything is in God's hands anyway).
 
Then we went back to Brute, I watched the 2nd half of "Miracle on Ice" about the US beating the USSR in the 1980 (?) Olympic hockey match, which was pretty cool, (I guess it's the 34th anniversary or something), then I skyped the family, and now I'm going to bed.
 
With that, good night!

0 comments: